Sunday, August 01, 2010

Interview With Moni's Fictional Ladies

"Hi, I'm Lanita Turner, ABC News journalist, weekend anchor and one of the characters in Moni's Capital Gains and Politically Correct novel manuscripts."

"Since The TransGriot has stepped away from her computer for a moment, we're going to take this opportunity to commandeer her blog and talk to her loyal readers.
I'm joined today by Lorynn Thibodeaux-Millard from On The Wings of Love, Erica Rideaux of Miss Thang, and my novel castmate Dr. Markita Johnson-Gant."

"As some of you readers know she does write fiction from time to time. She has shared some of her short stories and poetry on the blog. She has some manuscripts in various stages of completion she really needs to get busy finishing and getting published."

"Would you ladies agree or disagree with that assessment?"
"Yes, I agree, Lanita."
"And what leads you to give her work such a positive endorsement, Markita?"
"One thing I like about it is that some of them include positive trans characters of color doing more than just stereotypical stuff."
"You're so right about that."
"Erica, what are your thoughts?"
"I agree. I like the way she told my story. There are far too many negative stereotypes of African-American transwomen out there, and I love her for writing about the sections of our community that takes education and our feminine journeys seriously."
"I also like how she tries to keep it as realistic as possible when she writes her fiction."
"How so, Lorynn?" asked Lanita.
"I know she worked in the airline industry like I do, and consulted with airline industry friends when she began writing On The Wings of Love to make sure she was accurate in terms of post 9-11 procedures."
"She also likes weaving history and social commentary in it." said Erica.
"I like the fact she takes seriously the infotainment aspect of her writing, but I do have a problem with her mischaracterizing me last year on this blog as a diva."

"That's a nice segue into our next segment. Let's talk about you ladies individually. Lorynn and Markita, I know you're married, and Erica you're single like I am. Any chance you'll be walking down the aisle soon?"
"No Lanita, don't think so. I'm busy with my company and my blog. I'm at a point in my life right now where if it happens, it happens."
"It was a struggle for me just to get there." said Markita.
"Same here, sis," said Lorynn.
"But it was worth it in the end. Tommy and I are very happy and I got a wonderful stepdaughter out of it as well."
"Lorynn, any kids yet?"
"We haven't been blessed with any, but David and I are happily working on that while spoiling our niece and nephew. Hi, Jasmine! Hi, Trey!"
"I do the same thing with my sister's kids, and I'm the godmother to Senator Reynolds' twins," said Lanita.
"It's been a joy to see my stepdaughter grow up to become a wonderful and intelligent young lady."

"Now, ladies, let get to the juicy parts of your various stories. Erica, I know you were dating a guy at the start of your transition. Are you and Allen still together?"
"Sadly, no. We had some issues that broke up our relationship, but we're still friends."
"And Markita, girl, your drama was all over Capital Gains and Politically Correct. You got outed in the most publically humiliating way in the middle of a contentious political campaign, and you had to fight for the love of your man against a former lover wielding a child as her trump card."
"And as Sister Maya would say,'And still I rise'."

"Lorynn, you had an equally rocky road to travel as well in terms of overcoming the reservations of your now hubby in addition to a scheming ex."
"Well, there's no love lost between me and Marland Evangeline Devereaux that's for sure, but class does win out in the end..."
"Let me go...I've heard enough of this BS.." Marland said as she burst from backstage, past security and got within inches of Lorynn's face
'Ladies and gentleman, our other guest in this interview, Marland Deveraux!"
"What do you mean 'class wins out in the end'? You're still scavenging my sloppy seconds just like you did in Marrero."
"Shouldn't you be hanging out at the Texans training camp trying to snag you a new husband?"
"I got a man."
"And I got the man and the ring, Miss Thing. Isn't it pretty?" Lorynn said as security stepped between them.

'Well, that's all the time we have for this show, so tune in next time when we'll be talking to the men of Moni's fictional universe. I'm Lanita Turner saying so long until next time. We'll now return you back to your regularly scheduled TransGriot posts."

No comments: