Monday, April 04, 2011

Dr MLK, Jr King Assassination Anniversary

Today is the 43rd anniversary of the April 4, 1968 assassination of the Rev Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. in Memphis, TN. 

I wanted to make sure I wrote a post about the anniversary this year because I'm still a little upset at myself that I didn't do one last year.   But then again I had a lot on my mind  at the time and the winds of change were blowing through my life once again.. 

But back to talking about this day.   Tavis Smiley calls him one of the greatest Americans our people have ever produced.    Well, I can think of a few others in that class such as Frederick Douglass, Dr. Dorothy Height and Justice Thurgood Marshall, but I agree he's probably at the top of that short list.

I've had more than a few things to say on this anniversary, and I'll let you read my commentary on this day in prior years.    

Reflections About A King

April 4 Blues

Dr. King Assassination 41 Years Later


43 years later in this country, while on one hand race relations have improved on some levels, I also believe they have regressed as well thanks to conservative governments more concerned with sowing division in order to promote their political agenda.    They shortsightedly fail to realize that an America that works for everyone is a stronger, better country for all concerned.

Rest in peace Dr. King.  You were taken away from us before 'The Dream' became a reality, but there are people working to ensure that it does come true.

No comments: