Friday, December 31, 2010

Happy Kwanzaa Black Trans Style-Kuumba

TransGriot Note:   On each night of the Kwanzaa celebration this year, I'm going to write about each one of those principles and explain how it applies to the chocolate trans community and our cis African descended brothers and sisters.  


***

Kuumba (Creativity): To do always as much as we can, in the way we can, in order to leave our community more beautiful and beneficial than we inherited it.

Haban gani?    What's the news? 


It's time to light the sixth candle on the Kinara and ponder the sixth principle of the seven celebrated during Kwanzaa.

Kuumba.   This principle is one that I strive to live by.   I try to do as much as I can in any way that I can to leave the communities I inhabit more beautiful and beneficial than when I arrived on the scene. 

This blog allows me to express my creativity in terms of my writing talents and use them to make the trans and African-American communities a better place.    My sister Tona Brown uses her musical talents to accomplish the same thing.   Others are doing so through spoken word, their oratorical skills, painting, poetry, written word like myself, photography or performance art.

When you think about it, even our brothers and sisters in the pageant and ballroom communities can and do role model this principle to make our community a better place.

And by striving to live up to the kuumba principle,  we hope to leave behind a world that is better and more beautiful than when we encountered it.



No comments: