Its issue priorities and key initiatives are:
- Employment Non-Discrimination Act (ENDA)
- Racism, homophobia and transphobia create disproportionate job bias against LGBT people of color.
- “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell”
- DADT represents overt discrimination. No other law mandates firing someone because they are lesbian, gay or bisexual.
- Marriage Equality
- Gay and lesbian couples should have access to the same rights and legal protections as other married couples.
- Bullying in Schools
- Victims of anti-gay bullying are often targeted due to their presumed gender identity and sexual orientation.
- Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs)
- Encourage the leadership of Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs) to create a safe, responsible and inclusive environment for LGBT students.
- Increase education on HIV/AIDS in the African American community, especially amongst young people.
I had the pleasure of getting to meet Alexander Robinson, the initial Executive Director of NBJC and I'm looking forward to doing the same with current chair Sharon Lettman-Hicks
Here's NBJC ED Sharon Lettman-Hicks reflecting on the year that was just completed