Sunday, August 07, 2011

Rest In Peace Tyra Hunter

It's been 16 years since the August 7, 1995 day that Tyra Hunter died due to medical transphobia.

I make it a point to write down my thoughts and feelings about what happened to her and ensure no one forgets what happened to Tyra.

I'm adamant about remembering this day because I was barely sixteen months into my own transition when it happened and it outraged and deeply affected me.

My anger over her death was one of the events that started nudging me towards the path of becoming more vocal and active about fighting for trans civil rights and combating the transphobia in the African-American community.  

She was a passenger in a car involved in an auto accident at 50th and C streets in Southeast DC when she met her transphobe in the form of EMT Adrian Williams. It triggered a series of events that turned a survivable auto accident into a fatality. 

And that's the thing that bugs me to this day.  Her accident was survivable.   Had EMT Williams done his job, she'd still be here today contributing her talents to society.    

Tyra Hunter-13 Years Later

Remembering Tyra Hunter 

Tyra Hunter Death 15th Anniversary

 Rest in peace, Tyra.   You are still missed, and as long as this blog exists you'll never be forgotten.

No comments: