Thursday, August 07, 2008

Tyra Hunter-13 Years Later


I couldn't bounce out of town without pointing out today's sad anniversary. Thirteen years ago today transsistah Tyra Hunter died at the hands of a transphobe named Adrian Williams. But she didn't meet this transphobe as the result of a date.

Tyra crossed paths with him as the result of a traffic accident while she was on her way to work. A traffic accident she would have survived had she received timely emergency medical treatment but didn't, because this transphobe failed to do his duty and serve this particular Washington DC resident when she needed it most.

In addition to not doing his duty, he disrespected her in the process as she lay there dying.

Here's the story.

5 comments:

OG, The Original Glamazon said...

Man, I wish I could say things are better 13 years later but thanks to you and your blogging I know they are not.

I pray that one day her unnecessary death will not be in vain and transisters will not be refused basic rights because they were not born as natural women.

Be saef on your trip

-OG

Monica Roberts said...

OG, thanks for the prayers. We'll keep hope alive that the day that transgender people are treated with dignity and respect comes sooner rather tha later.

Laverne said...

Monica, thanks so much for making me aware of this anniversary. I hope you don't mind that I reposted this blog on my site well on like 4 of my sites. I think it's really important that as many people possible are aware of this so nothing like this will happen again. I've credited you for it. If you have do have an issue with the reposting, let me know

Stay in the love,

Laverne Cox

crys said...

hmmm i couldn't get the link to the original story to work, and i really wanted to read it.

this is so sad and now i'm beginning to see clearly how this relates to basic civil rights - we all really should be concerned.

Eboni T-Girl said...

I am scared as to what my life as a T-girl may bring. Right now we are sexy, bold, daring, and at the prime of our lives. Yet what is going to happen to us once we age, and need the care of society at large?

However I will say this, that the medical field is improving on trans issues. And infact many students who are up and comming in the medical field have treated some of my sisters with care.

Also I have now seen transgender studies incorporated into the pscycology curriculum on collegiate levels.

But the thought is still scary.