Tuesday, June 04, 2013

Nona Hendryx Ain't Playing MichFest

Well well, the Michigan Transphobic Womyn's Music Festival has one more artist not coming to The Land this year, and it's one of my favorite singers.

I have loved Nona Hendryx since her days with LaBelle and when she became a solo artist in the late 70's.   In 1983 she wrote a song called 'Transformation' which got me through some rough times during the mid-80's when I was wrestling with the 'should I or should I not transition?' dilemma and the early part of my transition in 1994.     

Today I have an even bigger reason to love her. She became the third artist to announce she wasn't playing MichFest this year due to their anti-trans policy.

'I will not play the Mich Fest this year.   My head and heart can't exclude fans or friends who are transgender & the policy of this festival hasn't changed.  "The only constant in life is...change"
XO, Nona


Nona, on behalf of myself and other #girlslikeus who share your ethnic heritage and out entire trans community, thank you. 

So we now have three artists that definitely aren't coming, two that said this is their last year performing on The Land if they don't change their transphobic policy, and four more who said they would make a statement from the stage

No comments: