Wednesday, February 05, 2014

I Received A 2014 GLAAD Media Award Nomination!

HomeWas surprised and pleased to find out during Creating Change Houston that I may have made a little Black  and trans history.

TransGriot received its first ever GLAAD Media Award nomination in the Outstanding Blog category   I'm the first trans feminine blogger ever to have received a nomination in this category and second overall.   Dr. Kortney Ryan Ziegler's blac(k)ademic last year became the first trans blog ever to receive a nomination in this category.    

However, I have some stiff competition in this category.    Kimberley McLeod's Elixher (of which my posts appear at times) is nominated along with Alvin McEwen's Holy Bullies and Headless Monsters.

The other nominees in this category are Autostraddle and The New Civil Rights Movement.

Like I said tough competition.  All are quality blogs.  Two of the founding editors of the nominated blogs in Kimberley and Alvin are personal friends and I have mad respect for their blogs. .  I read the other two nominees as well and have met people affiliated with them at the LGBT Media Journalist Convening and hopefully will see them in DC later this month.
 
But as I've said a few times when it comes to these award nominations, it's nice when they recognize the hard work you put in to do a quality blog.  You also can't win an award unless you're nominated for it, and the hard part is over.  I'm in it, and hopefully I'll win it on my first nomination attempt..  

Best of luck to everyone nominated in this Outstanding Blog category

Is there a trip to Los Angeles (April 12) or New York (May 3) in my future?   We'll see.

TransGriot Update:  I'm the first transfeminine blogger to earn a GLAAD award nomination and the SECOND overall.   Kortney Ziegler's blac(k)ademic was nominated in the Outstanding Blog category last year won by Rod 2.0.   Story has been corrected to reflect that.
 

No comments: