Did y'all have fun getting your learn on and actually trying to work on the 4th Annual TransGriot Black Trans History Quiz? Or did you just decide to wait until I posted the answers?
If you did, shame on you. It was an open Internet test.
So let's get to the answers for this year's edition of the Black Trans History Quiz.
And pay attention, because you will get another one during Black History Month next year.
1. True or False When last year's Trans 100 List was unveiled, there
were 11 African American trans women and four African American trans men
honored on it.
2. Which one of these is NOT a BTAC Conference award?
A. Monica Roberts Advocacy Award
B Kortney Ryan Ziegler Awareness Award
C Carter Brown Transman Of The Year
D Kylar Broadus Equality Award
E. Louis Mitchell Empowerment Award
C. The Carter Brown Transman of the Year Award is not a BTAC Conference award (yet)
3. What Black transman and Black transwoman were named to the Out 100 List for 2013?
Kylar Broadus and Laverne Cox
4 This transwoman from Toledo became the first ever trans athlete in her sport. Who is she and name the sport.
Fallon Fox Women's MMA
5 Blake Brockington became the first ever Black trans masculine to
accomplish this feat. What was his history making accomplishment?
Became the first Black transmasculine homecoming king in the US and the first ever in North Carolina
6. This transman born in Houston was a popular gospel singer from the 40s-70's. What was his name?
Wilmer 'Little Axe' Broadnax
7. Laverne Cox says she prefers to think of herself as this term. What is it?
A possibility model
8. True or False Dee Dee Chamblee was named a Champion of Change in 2011 by President Obama.
9 Name the transperson who was the first ever to receive a GLAAD Media Award nomination for Outstanding Blog.
Dr. Kortney Ryan Ziegler in 2012 for blac(k)ademic
10 True or False. Video blogger Diamond Stylz was the plaintiff in a
court case to allow her to wear her dress to her high school's prom.
TRUE Diamond sued her Indianapolis HS for the right to do so
11. Who said this quote? "More than I’m a trans man, I’m a Black man. Many of the
things that I see in the world and many of the things that I respond to
in the world have more to do with how I am treated as a Black man rather
than how I am treated as a trans man."
12 Audrey Mbugua filed a lawsuit to get the National Examinations
Council in this nation to change the records to reflect who she is now.
What is that nation?
13. Who said this quote? “Our lives, the path we feel we have to take is a challenge. We are
voluntarily accepting the role of Public Enemy No. 1: The black man is
the most feared man in America."
14. Houston's Dee Dee Watters last year became the first trans person
ever to organize an African American themed version of this trans
community event. What was it?
A. A trans feminine summit
B. A TDOR memorial
C. A statewide trans conference
D. A Transgender Day of Visibility
B. A TDOR memorial
15. The inaugural Trans* H4CK organized by Dr. Kortney R. Ziegler took place in this city.
A San Francisco
B San Jose
16 Angolan musical star Titica was named a Goodwill Ambassador by this agency last year. Name the agency.
17 Who said this quote? "I'm a woman in mind, heart and spirit. That's all that matters. They
can cut things off, paste things on, or reconfigure my body parts. If
you're a woman, you're a woman. Period"
Trans author Roberta Angela Dee
18. True or False. A Black trans feminine student has never been named as her schools homecoming or prom queen.
TRUE. Trans Latinas and trans white women have but as of yet no trans feminine African American.
19 How many ESSENCE magazine covers did trans model Tracy Africa Norman shoot?
Five ESSENCE covers...Sixth was ruined when she was outed.
20. Jordana LeSesne, Honey Dijon Redmond and Zoe Renee Lapin all have this in common. What is that common denominator?
They are currently or have DJed.
21 Sylvia Rivera and Marsha P Johnson co-founded this organization in 1970. Name it.
S.T.A.R. Street Transvestite Action Revolutionaries
22. This trans musician played tours with Whitney Houston, the Isley Brothers and several other major artists. Name her.
23 Who said this quote? "“They wanted to force me to be someone that I wasn’t. They wanted me to
delegitimize myself as a trans woman — and I was not taking that. As a
trans woman — as a proud black trans woman — I was not going to allow
the system to delegitimize and hyper-sexualize and take my identity away
24. The murder of this Boston area African-American transwoman in 1998
was the impetus to start the Transgender Day of Remembrance that occurs
every November 20. Name the transwoman.
25. Trans pioneer Gloria Allen in 2012 was teaching charm school classes for trans youth at the Center on Halsted in what city?