Thursday, January 29, 2009

Thanks For Being A Friend And Standing With Us

One of the things that my transsisters and transbrothers around the world are cognizant of is that we are involved in a worldwide struggle for respect and recognition of our human rights. It has been great getting to know some of my overseas transfamily and I'm looking forward to the day when we finally meet face to face.

One important facet of this human rights struggle is having biosisters in our corner. Some of my biosisters have taken it a step further and made it their mission in life to embrace what we're fighting for as well. Sometimes they speak just as loudly and eloquently about our issues than some of my own transsisters who accept the indignities and cower in their closets.

Some have taken it a step further, surround us with love and extend the hands of friendship as well.

I have been blessed throughout my transition to have biowomen at various stages of it who have and still are unflinchingly proud to call me their friend.

I have been taught at those various stages of my transition important life lessons by the various biowomen in my life in those periods. I continue to learn, grow and benefit from those friendships even as I worry that my biosisters who do that will catch flack or be stigmatized as 'weird' by their fellow biosisters or whatever other epithet is thrown at them just for daring to include me in their circle of sistahfriends.

At the same time, I hope that I've been able to show them and help them understand what I and other transwomen go through just to live our lives.

I also consider it an honor that they have made me part of their lives as well, knowing some of the bullshit sometimes that they go though just to do that.

Ladies, if you haven't heard this from your transsisters, I'm gonna say it now and keep repeating it as frequently as I can. Thank you for being a friend, standing with us and sharing with us the things we need to know in order to live quality lives as the women we were born to be in spirit but not quite body.

Know that you are loved and deeply appreciated by me and my transsisters as well for making us a part of your lives.

4 comments:

Sonora Sage said...

I know I've learned at least as many important life lessons from my transsisters as they have from me. I am unflinchingly proud to call them my friends, and I'm lucky enough not to have caught flack or been stigmatized for it (though I've been called "weird" for other reasons!). I hope I will always be a part of their lives.

Monica Roberts said...

Glad to hear that. Good friends are hard to come by.

VĂ©ro B said...

My biosister friends are precious to me. They know my story, and they accept me as a woman. Doesn't get better than that. Thanks from me too!

Monica Roberts said...

Same here Veronique.
They are not only great people to have in your corner, but wonderful people to help you learn, grow and navigate the waters of femininity that you can only learn through someone who has lived it from birth.