Friday, December 02, 2011

Danielle King Tells Her Story In Colorlines

"And for the first time in my life, I feel like the African American trans community is beginning to work together; technology has helped us with that. I also think we’re much kinder to ourselves. We got our start in ballroom culture, which is all about being passable, pretty and fierce. But I think our collective understanding of beauty has become wider and more inclusive."   Danielle King

One of the people I had the pleasure of finally meeting while I was in DC for Out On The Hill and Tte ALC was Danielle King.  We had a  few long in person and phone conversations while I was up there and also took part in a panel discussion together at the DC City Hall on trans issues.

Colorlines is doing a series called Pass The Mic: Transgender Women In Chocolate City Tell Their Stories and one of the first people to do so is Danielle .

I enjoyed the Colorlines article about her.  You can read the rest of what she had to say in it by clicking on this link.  I'll also be interested in seeing the stories of the other transwomen from DC they interviewed for this series as well. .

No comments: