Thursday, July 04, 2013

Once Again, How Do I Feel About My Country, And How Does My Country Feel About Me?

Today is July 4, 2013, the 237th birthday of the United States, and I'm not in a celebratory mood as this Independence Day arrives.

The Supreme Court, aided and abetted by a self-hating live version of The Boondocks Uncle Ruckus voted 5-4 to eviscerate Section 4 of the Voting Rights Act. 

It was one of the potent legal tools we had to keep the conservafools in GOP dominated state dictatorships legislatures in check as they repeatedly attempted to roll back our human rights,  and now it's been fracked with. 

The conservative dominated Rasmussen poll publishes one yesterday which confirms what we already knew about the vanillacentric privileged conservafools.   They ignorantly think Blacks are more racist than whites

If you believe that BS I have waterfront property I'd like to sell you between Breaux Bridge and Baton Rouge, LA along I-10 in the Atchafalaya Swamp. 

FYI to you conservasheep.  Racism=prejudice plus systemic power, something the Rasmussen conservaidiots should have retained from Sociology 101. Black people in the United States have NEVER had the power and population numbers to oppress people and turn their prejudices into legislative oppression like whites have gleefully and repeatedly done throughout American history for over three centuries.

The African-American president, the First Lady and his family continue to get unprecedented levels of disrespect aimed at them and will until they leave the White House on January 20, 2017.

Sometimes I wonder just how many of you white Americans not only say amen to what Supreme Court Chief Justice Roger B. Taney wrote about my people in the 1857 Dred Scott v Sandford decision but think on this date in the second decade of the 21st century we're still 3/5ths of a human being compared to you?

And just to refresh your memory banks concerning what Chief Justice Taney wrote on March 6, 1857:

"...beings of an inferior order, and altogether unfit to associate with the white race, either in social or political relations, and so far inferior that they had no rights which the white man was bound to respect.".

There are days I'm feeling Frederick Douglass' July 5, 1852 speech, but none more keenly than today. 

My transsisters in Washington DC are once again under attack as Deoni Jones' family awaits justice that has now been delayed until April 2014 for her February 2012 murder.. 

A Black woman in Georgia is told that she needs to submit to an invasive medical procedure to prove her femininity just to correct a birth certificate error and a smirking white male who killed an unarmed black teenager is on trial at this moment in Sanford, FL in front of a six person jury with no African-Americans on it.

But just when I feel like I want to leave the United States and never come back, I remember the words of my shero Barbara Jordan who eloquently stated that all we want is an America as good as its promise.

No, check that.  I want an America BETTER than its promise. 

I listen to Marvin Gaye's soulful version of the national anthem he sang at the 1983 NBA all star game or Jimi Hendrix's 1969 guitar solo version at Woodstock and get chills.   I think about the Rev. Dr Martin Luther King, Jr., Malcolm X, Rep. John Lewis, The Tuskegee Airmen, the Freedom Riders, Four Little Girls and all the people who fought marched, bled and died for me to be in the position to move the freedom torch forward.  It makes me realize I can't turn my back on that history.  I have to fight like they did in their time to make this country better for the next generation and generations yet unborn.

And as my little sis Jordana LeSesne wisely stated, 'no fight is more just than the battle for self-determination of ones own identity.'
 
The battle for trans human rights continues here in the United States as well.  The increased attacks and negativity we're getting aimed at us because we're winning that war right now but still have a long way to go until we see trans human rights become a reality across our nation.
 
 I have a pretty good idea how my country feels about me and all the communities I intersect and interact with as of July 4, 2013.   But how do I feel about my country today?

I'm ambivalent and a little pissed off at the USA because of the regressive human rights path we've been on lately no thanks to a batturd crazy Republican Party that professes to love freedom and democracy, but only when it benefits wealthy conservative white males and the profits over people corporations they run.   

Even though you clueless conservafools and Tea Klux Klan members piss me and my people off at times, I still love this country.   I've just been along with my fellow Americans who are persons of color more thoughtful about how.and why I do.  .

Check with me on July 5 as to how I'll feel about my country tomorrow.  

No comments: