Thursday, September 08, 2016

Iconic Entertainer The Lady Chablis Dies

Image result

“I want people to remember, parents to remember, that when a child is born, it may possibly be someone like myself, so be prepared for things like that. If you don’t like it, just remember that great things can happen.”--Lady Chablis

Sad news to report out of Savannah, GA.  Several local TV stations and Club One are reporting that our trans sister Brenda Dale Knox, AKA The Lady Chablis, who gained fame during the 90's thanks to the 1994 book and 1997 movie Midnight In The Garden of Good and Evil and her subsequent 1996 autobiography Hiding My Candy has died at age 59.

She passed away surrounded by family and friends at St Joseph's/Candler Hospital

Image result for hiding my candy
I have an autographed copy of that book thanks to meeting her during our LGBT Derby party in Louisville in 2003.   She was one of the celebrity guests that was invited to attend along with the late Tammy Faye Bakker and Anna Nicole Smith, and when I spoke to her diminutive self she was impressed by my average for a supermodel height.

When I whipped my copy of Hiding My Candy out of my purse and asked her to autograph it, she cheerfully did so while exclaiming "You made my day".

I replied, "You've made mine, too".   She really had, since the next day was my birthday.

She was born and raised in Quincy, Florida on March 11, 1957, and she's been making people's day as an entertainer since her debut at Savanaah's Club One in 1988.   In addition to briefly doing pageants and winning a few titles, she has raised thousands in campaigns for the American Diabetes Association and various LGBTQ charities,

She played herself in the Midnight In the Garden of Good and Evil movie.   Her most recent TV appearance was on the Real Housewives of Atlanta in 2013, but has been in declining health lately.

The Grand Empress of Savannah has transitioned and she will be missed.  Rest in power and peace, sis.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

OMG I loved her! RIP to The Lady Chablis