Monday, September 05, 2016

GLAAD To Honor Moi At The Gala San Francisco

The reason why I'm hopping a flight to San Francisco on Wednesday has finally been announced, so I can now talk about it.

On Thursday during the GLAAD Gala San Francisco I am going to be honored for the ten years I've been speaking truth to power courtesy of my TransGriot blog I founded on January 1, 2006.  

The Special Recognition Award will be presented by Angelica Ross, and so looking forward to seeing her again.

"Monica Roberts has used her blog to become a powerful voice for trans women of color and all trans people for the past 10 years," said Nick Adams, GLAAD's Director of Transgender Media. "Monica has consistently spoken out about the discrimination and violence faced by our community, and she's shined a light on trans people, especially people of color, when other blogs and media outlets would not. We are thrilled to honor Monica for her work and for her contributions toward accelerating acceptance for all trans people."

Thank you GLAAD for the award and thank you everyone for the continued expressions of congratulations and well wishes for this award.  I've been especially touched by the ones that have come from my former CAL co workers, who have told me every time I encounter them either while transiting IAH, on a United flight or just while out and about in Houston how proud they are of me along with everyone else in the community.   That's also true of my local LGBTQ community, the one I was part of in Louisville and nationally.

Thank you everyone.  It means a lot that y'all think so highly of me, and you see me as a worthy possibility model, friend and mentor.

It's been ten years, nearly 10,000 posts and 6.4 million visitors later and I'm still posting and telling it like it T-I-S is about the issues that impact my community.

If you can attend, here's the info for the gala.

Looking forward to seeing everyone at City View at Metreon on Thursday night, and as many peeps in the Bay Area trans community as I can while I'm there.starting Wednesday afternoon.

TransGriot Update:  Now hearing that the GLAAD Gala San Francisco is sold out.



No comments: