Sunday, March 10, 2013

Happy Jimmy Carper Day!

From November 1999 to September 2001 I got to spend some late Saturday-early Sunday AM mornings at the KPFT-FM studios sitting next to Jimmy Carper as a rotating co-host for After Hours

KPFT-FM is our local Pacifica Radio outlet with its studios still in the middle of the Montrose gayborhood.  I had a lot of fun doing that 'Queer Radio With Attitude' show especially since I was fulfilling a dream of actually being on the air. 

The best part of the deal of being Jimmy's co-host is I got to say whatever I wanted and what was on my mind about politics, the community or whatever was LGBT related as long as I didn't violate FCC regulations.

And yeah, I did introduce his listeners to some R&B artists who were rainbow family as well since he only played LGBT artists during the time After Hours ran from 1-4 AM. 

Jimmy is a beloved figure in the Houston rainbow community and LGBT radio circles, and Mayor Annise Parker declared March 10, 2013 as 'Jimmy Carper Day'.

Congrats to my old radio bud for the honor... 
 

No comments: