Wednesday, January 02, 2008

How Do I Look?

If you were one of those people who caught Paris Is Burning in the theaters back in the day and wondered what's up with the New York ballroom community, you'll probably be interested in Wolfgang Busch's How Do I Look documentary. There's a DVD of it available on howdoilooknyc.org




Conceived as a sequel to this internationally known cult favorite, it was shot over a series of balls from 1997 and is produced by Kevin Ultra Omni. It not only takes a snapshot of some old school legends like Octavia St. Laurent, it introduces you to the new legends on the scene




If after seeing this movie or reading this post you'd like more info on what the ballroom community is currently doing, check out Frank Leon Roberts' (we're not related as far as I know) excellent blog Canwebefrank.com on a regular basis.

In addition to the coverage of the ballroom communty, Frank also comments on social issues, the African-American GLBT community and his everyday adventures in his quest for his doctorate.

The cast and crew of How Do I look are also available for lectures and screenings as well, so check the website for further info on rates and availability.

2 comments:

Mes Deux Cents said...

Hi Monica,

Thanks for the recommendation. This film looks good. I saw Paris Is Burning and liked it. So I'm sure I'll like this.

I really need to catch up on my dvd watching. Blogging really takes up a lot of time.

I'm still trying to get through the L word; I'm only on season 2! Lol

Monica Roberts said...

I need to add it to mine as well..