Wednesday, April 02, 2014

Christie Lee Van de Putte Dies

When I traveled to San Antonio for their TDOR last November, one of the people I was hoping to see but didn't that evening was Christie Lee Van de Putte

I was shocked and saddened to hear the news that Christie Lee Van de Putte passed away on March 15.

She was a San Antonio native born on March 29, 1952 and was a hairstylist for 35 years.   But what many of us in the community know her for was as the plaintiff in the 1999 Littleton v Prange case. 

As her obituary said, Christie Lee loved bringing out the beauty in everyone and she did.  She got remarried to Pierre Van de Putte who preceded her in death.   Christie Lee's funeral Mass was held on March 25 at Holy Family Catholic Church and she was laid to rest the same day at Fort Sam Houston National Cemetery.  

I had the pleasure of meeting her during a 1999 Texas Lobby day, and seeing her again on my end of I-10 for Houston Pride.  I stayed in touch with her even after my move to Da Ville until about 2005 and our lives went in different directions. 

I'm hearing community chatter there might be a memorial service, so if that turns out to be the case, I will pass that information along to you.

Nikki Araguz Loyd commented upon hearing the news, "Rest In Peace Christie Lee Littleton Van De Putte. I hope you knew your case had been overturned and I will always remember you, as our lives are forever intermingled in history."

So do I and everyone else who had the pleasure of knowing Christie Lee.  

Rest in power and Peace Christie Lee.  We will miss you.  


No comments: