Thursday, February 05, 2009

National Go Red Day

If you can't figure out what to wear to work today or while you're out and about doing errands, may I suggest something red?

Today is National Go Red Day. I'm joining millions of women, companies, organizations and cities across the country in raising awareness about women and heart disease.

According to Tiffany Travis, communications director for the American Heart Association, heart disease is the leading cause of death for women ages 25 and older.

African American women are 35% more likely than non-Hispanic white women to die from heart disease. Diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, lack of exercise, and smoking all put women at risk for heart disease. Studies have shown that African Americans don't get the same care for heart disease as whites because they don't get the same tests and treatments.

“We want women to talk about prevention and living heart-healthy lives,” she said. “There are factors you can control like diet and exercise, but getting an annual heart checkup, not just a well-woman exam, is vital.”

A heart checkup includes checking cholesterol and blood pressure levels, as well as blood sugar tests.

So pull that red outfit out of the closet and wear it in honor of Go Red Day.

3 comments:

gogojojo said...

Lol. The thing that I love about Go Red Day is that I almost never remember the actual day. I'll know its coming up because I'm one of those people who celebrates every national campaign for anything important. BUT I never remember the actual days until like right before. Luckily every third item in my closet is red so I came to work and was like...oh yeah!

Monica Roberts said...

Today's my day off, but like you Jo Jo I have some red items in my closet balanced by the salmon pink and apple green ones ;)

gogojojo said...

to each her own. :0) lol the funny thing is long before i knew anything about crimson and cream, red was my color. in fact, for most of my childhood whenever my mom would try to get me to put a color in my wardrobe i would default to red. I remember when i started college my mother said that i had to get another color in the spectrum just one dress. it was green. lol. i'm actually pretty laid back about it all but i show up so often in the colors that people think i'm fanatical. honestly to me the important thing is that we are all black women committed to each other, trying to better ourselves, and dedicated to uplifting our community.

And now back to the regularly scheduled conversation. lol.