Thursday, October 15, 2009

Choi Han Bit-Korean Supermodel

Those of us with longer memories would probably dispute that title by pointing out Harisu was the first Korean transwoman to garner international attention.. But 23 year old Choi Han Bit has done something that even trailblazing transwoman Harisu hasn't.

In Korea there is a television show called Open Hall in which beautiful women compete for a chance to become a supermodel. Out of the 1,200 applicants they received for this show, Choi Han Bit was one of the 160 initial contestants selected.

Over the 20 days of competition Choi has continued to impress and advance. She got through the first preliminary round which whittled those 160 contestants down to 50, and then made it through the July 28 second round which cut the remaining ladies down to 32 competitors.






Making the September 25 finals virtually guarantees her 'supermodel status' regardless of whether or not she actually wins

During her speech, according to AllKpop she had lots to say and many people to thank, including her parents.

"Looking back, the situation I'm in would have seemed impossible to me as a child. I'm just so happy to be here right now and I want to become a dignified supermodel as well as a great role model. I would like to thank my parents for actively supporting me through the surgery and the pursuit of my dreams."

When asked if she would like to be a celebrity, she said that she did not want to use her transgender status to become a celebrity, but would rather become a celebrity through her hard work and passion.

At the conclusion of her speech, Choi said, "I would like to send a message to any other transgenders. Be dignified and proud of who you are."

Amen sis. Your transsisters around the world are definitely proud of you.

I'll have to do some searching to find out if she ultimately won the contest. Here's hoping she did.

No comments: