Tuesday, July 19, 2011
3rd Annual Texas Transgender Nondiscrimination Summit Approaching
The Texas Transgender Nondiscrimination Summit, the Houston GLBT Community Center, and the Hollyfield Foundation present:
3rd Annual Texas Transgender Nondiscrimination Summit, hosted by the University of Houston Department of English.
The 2011 Summit will be held at the University of Houston in the Roy G. Cullen Bldg, Room 104, on Friday, August 12 and Saturday, August 13.
The keynote speakers will be Dr Paige Schilt (Aug 12) and Megan Stabler (Aug 13).
For the third consecutive year, the ACLU will be represented at the Summit and discuss caselaw with the participants on August 12. This is exciting especially since the ACLU has presented at every Summit since its beginnings. It is now a tradition for the ACLU to talk to us at the Summit. We will also have Phyllis Frye, Frye and Associates PLLC, talking to us on August 13 about additional caselaw. Phyllis Frye is a Texas A&M and University of Houston Alum.
Currently the following colleges and universities have the phrase "gender identity and expression" included in their nondiscrimination statement:
University of Texas Austin
South Texas College of Law
University of Texas Pan Am
The University of Houston has issued the Izza Lopez Memo indicating discrimination against transgender employment is not tolerated.
The following Texas Independent School Districts have Transgender Inclusive Policies: Houston Independent School District and Fort Worth Independent School District.
After the first day of the Summit, the Houston Transgender Unity Committee and the Houston Transgender Center have collaborated to host dinner for the attendees at their center located at 604 Pacific Houston Texas. So plan on great food and fellowship after the first day of sharing at the Summit.
Here is the lineup for speakers and workshops this summer:
• UH Welcome, Dr. Ira Colby, Dean Graduate College of Social Work
• August 12, 2011 Keynote Speaker, Dr. Paige Schilt, Prof and Bilerico Project; Jordan Johnson, student; and Siobhan Cooke, student; Southwestern University;
Gender Neutral Housing for Texas Students: Strategies and Challenges,
August 12, 2011 workshops:
• Recent Developments in Transgender Legal Rights, Mitchell Katine, on behalf of American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU)
• Creating Gay Straight Alliances (GSA), Deb Murphy, Montrose Counseling Center; HATCH Youth Services Specialist
• Transitioning on the Job at Texas State University, Prof. Kristen G. Ploeger, Ph.D, Texas State University-San Marcos
• Transgender Inclusion in University Nondiscrimination Statements: Challenging Gender Conforming Privilege through Student Activism, Prof Kim Case, Ph.D, UH Clear Lake and Josephine P Tittsworth, LMSW, Doctorial Student, UH Graduate College of Social Work
• BBQ Dinner and Social at the Transgender Center, 604 Pacific, Houston Texas 77006
• UH Welcome, Dr Wyman Herendeen, UH Department of English, Chair
August 13 workshops:
• Inclusive Language and Policies for School Districts and Junior Colleges: A How-To Toolkit, Rafael McDonnell, Lee Taft, J.D., M.Div., and Deborah Cavazos, Resource Center Dallas Texas
• Transgender Health Priorities: A Knowledge, Barriers, Vulnerabilities Model, Katy Stewart, Transgender Education Network of Texas
• August 13, 2011 Keynote Speaker, Meghan Stabler, Board of Directors Human Rights Campaign (HRC);
You, A Life Worth Living,
• Transgender Case-Law, Phyllis R. Frye, Frye and Associates PLLC
• Building Grassroots Change in Your Local Community, Christopher Busby, President Log Cabin Republicans, Houston Texas; Jenifer Renee Poole, Candidate for Houston City Council At-Large-2
We are working on setting up hotel info that will be posted here soon so keep checking in to get the latest updates for the Summit. Register today.
Registration is now open via Event Brite. Please register today.
To register by mail, send your check made payable to the Houston GLBT Community Center to:
Texas Transgender Nondiscrimination Summit, P. O. Box 1095, Baytown, Texas 77522
Regular Registration fee: $20
Student Registration fee: $10
For more information and to register, go to http://www.houstonglbtcommunitycenter.org/texastransgendernondiscriminationsummit/
Or email email@example.com