Sunday, July 03, 2011

Monica's 2011 Esteem Awards Acceptance Speech.

This is the speech I wrote for the 2011 Esteem Award that I'll be getting on July 3.   Thought I'd share it with you TransGriot readers and everyone who couldn't be in Chicago for the awards ceremony.

***

Giving honor to God, the Esteem Awards distinguished founder, judges, attendees of the awards ceremony, friends and allies

I am pleased, excited and thankful that I am being honored with a 2011 Esteem Award in the Outstanding Service, Transgender - Nationals category and humbly accept it.  I just wish I could be in Chicago during this festive Black Pride weekend in person to do so.

When I started my transition in 1994 and the activism part of it with my first Capitol Hill lobbying trip four years later, little did I know or expect that I was beginning a journey that was more than just simply wanting to do something to fight for my human rights as a trans person of African descent and be a role model to others like me. 

Along the way I’ve learned a lot of things about myself, met people around the country and the world that I’m blessed to call my friends who share a common vision of a world in which transpeople have the same codified human rights as everyone else.  I’ve become an iconic figure in the trans community, made some history, and edit a blog that has registered over 2.5 million hits since I started it on New Year’s Day 2006.

And because I tell it like it T-I-S is on TransGriot about a lot of subjects, pissed a few people off, too. 

Dr. Cornel West has a quote about leadership that I tweaked to better reflect the African descended trans constituency I serve:
'You can’t lead trans people if you don’t love trans people. You can’t save trans people if you don’t serve trans people.'
I love my people and have been leading and serving them in various capacities for over 15 years   But the journey to save them is far from over.  I won’t rest until my African descended trans brothers and sisters become and feel comfortable enough to believe they are full fledged participants at the African American family table inside and outside our rainbow community.

It’s nice any time you receive an award that recognizes you for the work you do on behalf of others.  It’s even more meaningful when that award comes from your own people 

Thank you for honoring me with this 2011 Esteem Award.      

No comments: