Tuesday, July 26, 2011

METRORail Station Survey

It may be in the triple digits temperature wise, but that doesn't slow down construction here in H-town.  They just make sure the workers get plenty of cold water, rest and keep going until they get the project done. 

I'm a big fan and supporter of the expansion of light rail in my hometown.   I've been keeping tabs on the progress of METRORail construction on the Southeast, North and East End lines, especially since one of the new lines will terminate not far from where I live now.

It's moving along to the point that the construction crews began laying rail on some of the lines earlier this month that are scheduled to be completed in 2014..     

METRO asked for public input on names for the future  stations on the various rail lines.   The deadline passed in May for that phase of the process, but they are now conducting a survey until August 31 to get further citizen input on some of the contenders for station names on the various routes.

The METRO board will choose the permanent names of the rail stations at their September 2011 meeting.

I've had my say about the Southeast Line and will chime in later on the other two, so I thought I'd make it easy for you Houstonians or homesick ex-pats to chime in and have your say about what names should grace those station platforms.

But to be honest, I'm beyond ready for those station platforms to not only be constructed after they finish laying the track, but for those light rail trains to start running along those tracks when they're done.

No comments: