Sunday, July 03, 2011

Dawn's Trying Her Fencing Luck In Reno

It's been a while since I had a post up about the fencing exploits of my one time housemate and it's past time for an update.

Dawn's taking her C rating and leaving Louisville on a jet plane this week bound for Reno, NV and the 2011 USA Fencing Summer Nationals.

The 2011 edition of the Summer Nationals started on July 1 and will run through July 10 at the Reno-Sparks Convention Center.  The tournament is also serving as a qualifier to select the US fencing team for the 2011 Pan Am Games that will take place in Guadalajara, Mexico October 14-30.

So if you folks in the Reno area want to see some future Olympians and some world class athletes, may want to head down there and check them out.

When I last talked to her she said she was ready and had just come back from rolling up I-65 to play with Linda, Andria and the rest of the IndySabre peeps.

She wasn't selling me any woof tickets about that either.  When I checked her ranking I noticed she's now up to Number 4 in the nation in Veterans 40 womens sabre, and was tied for Number 18 with four other fencers in the combined Veterans rankings.  Her best Veterans 40 ranking when I lived in Da Ville with her was Number 6.

In Reno she'll be competing with the rest of the Baby Vets in the Veterans 40 Division sabre tournament.

As for the 'Senior Mamas' AKA the Vet 50's they'll also be there in full effect along with the Vet 60's and Vet 70's doing their thang as well.

There will be much good natured trash talking to be had between the 'Baby Vets' and 'Senior Mamas' as usual before and after they step on the strip.

Sniff sniff, I miss y'all too.

I got to meet some of the Baby Vets, Senior Mamas, referees, and fencing world officials in the Kentucky Division and the Great Lakes Region in connection to hanging out with Dawn on some of those fencing journeys, and was the announcer at the 2010 Super Youth regional they hosted in Da Ville.   I had a lot of fun that weekend and was told by her that many of the kids and various people were looking for me during the 2011 event.


Dawn finished third in last year's Summer Nationals in the ATL and is looking to slash, parry and fleche her way back to Da Ville with a nicer color medal than the bronze one she brought back from Georgia to add to her considerable collection of fencing medals and trophies..

Good luck in Reno Dawn and to all you sabre ladies, unless you're on the strip with my homegirl..




No comments: