Sunday, July 26, 2009

'Purple Rain' 25th Anniversary

Damn, has it actually been 25 years since that hot Houston summer day my brother and I rolled up to the Almeda 8 and bought tickets to see Purple Rain?

The movie opened 25 years ago today, but was preceded by the release of the soundtrack album on June 25. The award winning album sold 11 million copies in the US.

When the movie was released on July 27 it grossed $70 million in US domestic ticket sales. It also catapulted Prince to a level of stardom in the 80's rivaled only by Michael Jackson and Madonna.

Purple Rain is still one of my fave movies especially since Morris Day and Jerome Benton's antics had me cracking up, except for the one scene in which Jerome slam dunked a sister in a dumpster who was berating Morris for standing her up.



This 'The Password Is What' routine is the classic Abbott and Costello 'Who's on First' baseball comedy routine hilariously remixed for the 80's.

The movie is still one of my fave all time ones. It was worth every penny I spent on it then at my local multiplex and all the subsequent cash I spent on the VHS and DVD tapes.

It's also amazing to note the fact it's been 25 years since it first debuted.

1 comment:

Gina said...

I love Jerome!