Monday, July 06, 2009

Justice For Teish Update II

I'm doing regular updates of news concerning Lateisha Green's alleged killer Dwight DeLee's trial starting July 13.

We have a week to go until it starts at the Onondaga County Courthouse in Syracuse, NY. I plan to do these updates until justice is served.

July 6

Things are beginning to move on the Justice For Teish front. GLAAD is hard at work putting together their communications strategy for the DeLee trial. I'm trying to coordinate my schedule with Andy Marra's so we can chat about what's transpiring on GLAAD's end.

The Syracuse media still needs some 'ejumacation' on proper pronouns and trans etiquette, so keep impressing on them how important respectful reporting of this case is to you and the rest of the world watching them.

The New York based Transgender Legal Defense and Education Fund (TLDEF) is beginning to ratchet up their media efforts as well in addition to working with Teish's mother Roxanne Green.

Still keeping hope alive that something will allow me to be in Syracuse next week for the trial. I hope the local community will have someone Tweeting the trial.

Thanks to Questioning Transphobia and Bird of Paradox stumbled across this link to an article that features quotes from Roxanne Green, Lateisha's mother.

“It’s bad enough to live with families that don’t approve,” said Roxanne Green. “I never expected a gay son and I have two. It needs to stop. They hurt and I hurt. I have a boy living with me now because he can’t go home. For these kids to fear school! Teish had to go to school late and leave school early. That was the school’s idea of helping! It made Teish angry. She wanted to go when everyone else did.”

Green acknowledged that the spotlight has been hard for her at times.

“I relive a lot of things,” she said. “He really took something precious. I lost a mother when I was nine and that hurt. Losing a child is a whole different hurt.”


If there's any further news to report, I'll get it to you as quickly as I can.

No comments: