Monday, October 10, 2016

Moni's In The Middle Of The JJ Alumni Picnic


From time to time I get to pop my collar about my high school alma mater Jesse H Jones and The Class With Class, AKA the Class of 1980.

So proud of the rich history of my school.  Actress Jo Beth Williams, HPD"s first female police chief Elizabeth Watson, NFL Hall of Famer Darrell Green, former NBC White House correspondent Rosalind Jordan, NFL baller Alfred Williams, NBA ball player Daniel Gibson, Texas State Board of Education member (and my classmate) Lawrence Allen, former HISD bard member Ron Franklin, staffer for Rep. John Lewis (D-GA) Rachelle O'Neal, and former Texas Land Commissioner Jerry Patterson.

So as a Falcon, I have a towering legacy to live up to.    

The 4th annual alumni picnic was Sunday at Christia Adair Park, and for once my globetrotting behind was in town for a JJ class event.   I was there when it started at noon.  It was also taking place during the 35th reunion weekend of the JJ Class of 1981.

I definitely had a better day than the Texans and Donald Trump did.

In addition to seeing many of my Class With Class classmates, there were people from the Jesse H. Jones Classes of 1973 all the way to the Class of 2007 that I enjoyed meeting.   I also enjoyed either meeting or reconnecting with people from the Classes of 78-82 which was the time I was walking JJ's halls.

While there was a barbecue dinner offered and served in the Adair Park barbecue pavilion that was prepaid or paid for on site, the various class tent clusters (Class of 1980 had a cluster of six tents) had different food available from barbecue to fish

There was good times, trash talking domino games, music from the 70s to the 2k's thanks to our DJ,  reminiscing about our days walking JJ's halls, thinking about the classmates who are now Falcons Soaring Above The Clouds, and the always entertaining Parade of Classes that started around 4 PM in which people from that class year marched to the covered pavilion to a song from their JJ class year.

And this march with my classmates was a lot more fun than the one we did on May 20, 1980 at the Astroarena.

Thanks to the alumni picnic committee that spent six months putting this amazing event together and were there at 6:15 AM setting this up   I was happy to be there and can't wait to see what happens at the 5th annual picnic in 2017.

2 comments:

JHJ class of 1978 said...

Thank you.
Your expression brings joy to my heart. Tears of happiness to my eyes and my soul.
For one day in our lives as alumni classmates no matter what year.
We are one. One spirit. One pride.
We are graduates of Jesse H Jones High School.

JHJ class of 1978 said...

Thank you.
Your expression brings joy to my heart. Tears of happiness to my eyes and my soul.
For one day in our lives as alumni classmates no matter what year.
We are one. One spirit. One pride.
We are graduates of Jesse H Jones High School.