Thursday, July 28, 2016

Moni's In The TTNS 2016 House!

Well people, after a 200 mile one way bus trip that was scheduled to start at 8:15 AM CDT from Houston's Greyhound station through Austin with a bus transfer, I've finally arrived at my hotel in Killeen, called Mom and Dee Dee, and settled into my hotel room to do some prep for my speech tomorrow

It wouldn't be one of my road trips without some issue or drama.  The bus from Austin to Killeen had no working air conditioning.  Hello, this is Texas in the summer.  Ac is a basic requirement for travel satisfaction.   Wasn't Greyhound's fault, it was a regional carrier.

Called myself trying to get some sleep before this trip, but that didn't happen especially since I had to get up and this was one of those my butt needs to be at the Greyhound terminal on time and early to catch that 8:15 AM bus out of here.

The Texas A&M University-Central Texas is one of the newer schools in the Texas A&M University system, and the campus is in the shadow of Fort Hood, one of the largest military bases in the US.

One of the interesting tidbits I discovered while doing some research for my speech is that Tia and Tamera Mowry spent some time here in Killeen because their Army parents were stationed here for several years  Cleveland Browns quarterback Robert Griffin III also lived near here and went to high school in Copperas Cove, TX before heading off to Baylor.   Elvis Presley was also stationed here at Fort Hood during his time in the Army along with major league ballplayer and humanitarian Jackie Robinson.

Will probably take a break to watch Hillary Clinton's historic Democratic presidential nomination acceptance speech and the one by Sarah McBride for #DNCinPhilly, but really looking forward to once again being at the Texas Transgender Nondiscrimination Summit.

For those of you in Central Texas, you still have time to join us tomorrow on the Texas A&M Central Texas campus for not only my Friday keynote and Judge Phyllis Frye's keynote on Saturday, but for all the informative seminars that will be taking place both days,


 

No comments: