Monday, June 08, 2009

Cloudy Day


You loyal TransGriot readers probably noticed that I didn't post anything on Saturday and most of the day Sunday.

Ever since my grandmother Tama died in February 2002, her June 4 birthday is a tough day for me. Add to the fact that I had a friend who also shared my grandmother's birthday who passed away far too soon, it only adds to the depressed state of mind and the sorrow that I feel in terms of missing these two wonderful people.

The fact that we had a cloudy, depressingly rainy weather day in Da Ville didn't help my overall mood either, and my attempts to focus on something else to keep my mind off of it, including the blog, failed miserably.

So after wallowing in bed most of the day, I ended up doing what I do to get out of a depressed mood, and headed to my neighborhood Walgreen's to get my favorite taste of home.

I'm happily gorging myself on Blue Bell chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream and rededicating myself to becoming even half the woman that my mom and my sister are, and that my grandmother and Dr. Monica Holloway-Barrett were.

But the moral of this post is that contrary to what the haters say, I'm human. I have my good days and bad, my highs and lows, my joys and sorrows and my triumphs and travails.

June 4, 2009 happened to be one of those days.

I'm still focused on becoming the best human being I can be with the time on Planet Earth I have left. I'm cognizant of my status as a role model for many transgender people and our allies, and aware that the fight for first class citizenship status for transgender people is not over by a long shot.

I'm also blessed with the God-given ability to articulate my thoughts on paper, be it wood-based or electronic.

Now if I could only get to a point where I get paid so I can write full time, I'd definitely be a happy camper.

No comments: