Thursday, September 15, 2011

Why It Is Important For Us To Support LGBT Pride Events

TransGriot Note:  Guest post by mezzo soprano Tona Brown who recently became the first African-American trans person to perform for a sitting US president.

I have been questioned by some as to why I feel that performing for LGBT Pride events are important to me.

Those of us affiliated with the transgender community have felt for quite sometime that lesbian gay and bisexual organizations and pride functions exclude our community. 

We are constantly disappointed when its time for organizations and legislators to support our community only for these organizations to show us time and time again that the transgender, transsexual and/or gender non-conforming community is not important and can be dropped from the discussion, out of legislation or not included at all.

Or worse,  programming that has nothing to do with trans issues and to see that a drag show is used to say that these organizations are open to the trans-community.

To answer to the question of why I feel that performing for the LGBT Pride functions and events are important to me:   Simply put I am a part of the LGBT community.  This is why I feel I should perform and or speak at these events whether they accept that or not.

It is my belief that not only does the transgender community need to regroup and build our own infrastructure and plan for change but that we make ourselves known whenever possible. No longer will and can these organizations use the excuse that there are "no transgender people available" for boards, discussions, television shows, panels etc.  The transgender community is showing its importance in monumental ways everyday. 

And although the media both mainstream and gay does not like to report our triumphs unless it's mixed with scandal; we must work harder to share our stories, to develop and learn more about our history and  showcase why we are an important community in today's society.

If the transgender community is going to complain about not being included in the discussion or being excluded from legislation then it's imperative that we do what we can do to be seen and heard. 

It's far more powerful to put a face to a community then just to have it mentioned as a letter. 

Do your part.  Support these events especially those that have programs and outreach for trans people and we are on their boards.  Make it known that you would like to be a part of such boards and follow all steps to do so.  I currently sit on the advisory board for the LGBT Academy of Recording Arts, the organization that organizes the Outmusic Awards.

Whenever invited to perform or speak for various events in the LGBT community I try my best to do what I can to be a part of them and perform for them.  My schedule is very busy but these events are very important if we are EVER to be included in this GLB (T) community.

When I walk into the room I know that I am representing not only myself but others like me in the best way possible!

So ladies and gents join me in Baltimore in October. Dream bigger and shoot for the stars!


I will be performing the Baltimore Black Pride events on October 8-9 and I look forward to seeing you there!

****

TransGriot Note: These are the Baltimore Black Pride events Tona will perform at.  Check them out if you can.


October 8   Baltimore Black Pride Cultural Affair and " ICON WE LOVE" Awards
                   Honoree(s)  Del. Mary L. Washington of the 43rd district
                   Archbishop Carl Bean of  The Unity Fellowship Church Movement
                   Featuring Artist : Mezzo Soprano Tona Brown
                   Eubie Blake National Jazz  Institute and Cultural Center
                   847 North  Howard Street
                   7pm-11pm   : DRESS ATTIRE SEMI-FORMAL....DRESS TO IMPRESS
                   Lite Buffet, Open Bar, Live Entertainment and Dancing
                   Donation $50.00

 October 9  Sunday Spiritual Service
                   Unity Fellowship Church of Baltimore
                   Sermon by Rev. Sam Offer
                   Featuring Artist : Mezzo Soprano Tona Brown
                   UFCB Mass Choir and special guest
                   Eubie Blake National Jazz Institute and Cultural Center
                   847 N. Howard Street
                   11am- 1pm





No comments: