Saturday, September 03, 2011

2011 Williams Watch-Good Tennis News, Bad Health News

First, the bad health news concerning my fave tennis playing siblings.   Venus withdrew from the 2011 edition of the US Open minutes before she was to play Germany's Sabine Lisicki after announcing she was diagnosed with Sjögren's Syndrome.

“I enjoyed playing my first match here,” Venus said, “and wish I could continue, but right now I am unable to. I am thankful I finally have a diagnosis and am now focused on getting better and returning to the court soon.”

The good tennis news is that Little Sis is still playing and still one of the favorites to win the 2011 US Open women's singles title.  She took only 49 minutes to blitz through her second round 6-0, 6-1 straight set win over Michaella Krajicek of the Netherlands.  

Serena's third round opponent promises to be a little tougher today in fourth seeded Victoria Azarenka of Belarus, but we'll see. 

Speaking of seeing things, I hope that wasn't the last time we will see Venus playing professional tennis or the last time I get to write a post about her tennis playing exploits.. 

No comments: