Friday, May 19, 2017

Rest In Power, Kristen Capps

Image may contain: 3 people, people smiling, people standing, suit and indoor
I awoke this morning to hear the shocking news that one of ur Houston TBLGQIA community sheroes in Kristen Capps has passed away.

My condolences to Maria Gonzalez, her family, friends and all who loved her as we absorb this devastating news.

Just heard that the Texas House adjourned until 1 PM in her honor thanks to Rep. Jessica Farrar (D-Houston) making that happen.

Image may contain: 3 people, people smiling, people standing, outdoor and closeup
She was an attorney and fellow Cougar who had this amazing ability to get you to see an argument from the other side.   The last time I had an extended moment to spend some quality time basking in her awesomeness was during last year's Texas Transgender Nondiscrimination Summit in Killeen, but was always bumping into her at many of our Houston community events

Image may contain: 1 person, text
Kristen was one of my leadership role models, and an inspiration to many of us in Houston.   She was always ready to use her talents to help our community as her HERO testimony was just one sterling example of.   I was proud to call her a friend, and had mad love and respect for her intellect and legal acumen.   I fondly look back at some of the good natured debates we got into at times and can do nothing but smile about it.



I'm a better person and leader because Kristen Michele Capps was in my life.

As of yet don't have the information on the cause of death or any word on when her memorial service is planned, but when I get that info, will be passing it along as soon as I receive it.

Image may contain: 3 people, indoor
One of our Houston community sheroes has been taken away from us way too soon, and I know myself and a lot of folks in the Houston area are going to miss her.

Rest in power and peace,  Kristen

No comments: