Sunday, June 15, 2014

PTHC 2014 Diary-Day Three Recap


It's the last day of the 2014 Philadelphia Trans Health Conference, and my body told me it was time to get more sleep than I have been getting the last two nights.

So after I did some writing and had breakfast, decided to take a little nap before heading to the convention center.  That little nap lasted until 10 AM, so guess my body needed the sleep. 


After shaking off the cobwebs, I spent some time after I arrived at the convention center hanging out with my Houston peeps Jay, Robin, Koomah and the rest of the gang at The Gender Book table.  Did the same with Jeanette and family at their foundation table, and the BTMI-Philly chapter table

I spent more quality time with Dr Lobdell.  I talked to some of my TransGriot fans and with others plotting the Black Trans Revolution that won't be televised.   Even saw Kye Allums for a moment before he headed back to New York and Kylar Broadus.

And I popped my head in for a few moments at the Justice For Jane event in room 109A.

The first seminar I attended on this final day was a 2:20 PM Simaya Fogle moderated one entitled "Transitioning In The Black Family'   The panel with Lisa, Ebonee, Destiny, Christian, Leo and cis man Tierre told transition stories from a black perspective.   Tierre was on the panel to discuss the issues of being in a dating relationship with a trans woman.

Hmm, sounds like a panel topic that needs to happen for next year

It led to some commenters revealing some deeply personal secrets which will remain off the record for this post.

During the 4:05 PM block I attended Ebonee's seminar in Room 104A entitled 'Get Your Tens And Make Me Know It!!!'    The seminar discussed the ballroom and pageant worlds and how both can be used as tools of empowerment and self growth for trans women of color.

In between those seminars, the sidebar meetings kept happening, people continued to connect with each other, and information was disseminated in the scheduled sessions until the last ones wrapped up at 7:00 PM.

And when that last seminar closed, so did the 2014 edition of the Philly Trans Health Conference. 

I had a wonderful first timer experience at the PTHC.  It was a blast getting to meet many of the people I've been talking to online for years and in one or two cases over a decade.

And yes, was nice to get out of Houston's warm, humid weather for three days.


But all good things must come to an end, and that is the case for this PTHC conference.  While I'm sad it has come to a close, the memories of this event and hopefully the friendships and working partnerships started here will last for a lifetime.

It's also time to take what we learned during these three days here back to our various hometowns and countries.  Once we arrive back home, let's put into practice what was discussed in those sessions and in the conversations away from the conference venue.

And hopefully I'll get to see everyone next year for the 2015 edition of PTHC.

   

No comments: