Thursday, September 25, 2014

Scarlett Lehn Crowned Homecoming Queen In Colorado


Scarlet Lehn has only been officially out as a transfeminine student at Sand Creek High School in Colorado Springs, CO since the start of this school year, but the 16 year old mas made a little history in the wake of doing so.

Lehn was chosen by her classmates to be their homecoming queen on September 12, the same weekend as transmasculine student Mel Gonzalez was chosen as the homecoming king at Austin High in Fort Bend County. 

It's also delicious to me that Sand Creek High School is located in the backyard of the odiously transphobic and homophobic Focus on The Family.  FOTF is headquartered there. 

While she's gotten some predictable flak from right wingers and the usual haters, the homecoming win was a surprise to her.  “I didn’t think I’d be nominated, but now it really matters to me,” Lehn said in a recent interview. “This is something I’ve wanted to do since my freshman year. I want people to be themselves and not feel uncomfortable in their own body and mind.”

And it's wonderful that your coming out was accepted by your classmates so quickly that they voted for you to be honored as their homecoming queen.

Congratulations Scarlett!   Looking forward to this happening in my home state soon.

No comments: