Sunday, January 02, 2011

TransGriot Mission Statement

While going back through some of my archived posts I discovered I never really wrote a formalized mission statement for this blog.    Makes sense because at the time I founded it I was writing a newspaper column for a GLBT paper in Louisville and TransGriot the blog started out as a real time companion to TransGriot the column.

Over time the script flipped and the blog grew bigger than the column, and writing a formalized mission statement just got put on the back burner of to do list projects.

Since this is TransGriot's 5th Anniversary year, think it's time to close out that piece of old business.


But to remind you of what a griot actually is and why it's part of the name for my blog, here's an early post I wote about the subject.  

***

A griot is not just a human library, storyteller and historian. They are all of these things and more. Griots are a visible and tangible human link to the past. They are someone who not only could be touched, but could touch you with stories and facts that enlighten you and others about who you were and are as a person.

The TransGriot blog's mission is to become the griot of our community.  I will introduce you to and talk about your African descended transbrothers and transsisters across the Diaspora, reclaim and document our chocolate flavored trans history, speak truth to power, comment on the things that impact our trans community from an Afrocentric perspective and enlighten you about the general things that go on around me and in the communities that I am a member of.

Okay....mission statement done.

No comments: