Sunday, June 10, 2007

Elisabeth Withers

I was introduced to this talented artist by one of the members on my Transistahs-Transbrothas group.

Tia had adopted Elisabeth's song 'The World Ain't Ready' from her It Can Happen To Anyone album as her theme song. She told us about her in a post to the group. When I checked out Elisabeth's website and listened to the lyrics of the song, I can see why. I was blown away by it and plan to buy it next payday along with the Daddy's Little Girls DVD when it comes out June 12.

Elisabeth states that the song 'The World Ain't Ready' was inspired by a transgender high school classmate in her Joliet, IL hometown. She recalled in a BET.com interview that she had amazing skin, a woman's body and would dress as a girl at school but as soon as the bell rang would run to the bathroom, change clothes and go home to her family as a boy.

When I heard her last name I immediately made the assumption that she was related to the great Bill Withers, but at this time Elisabeth hasn't revealed whether she is or not. But based on her bio and her Tony Award winning performance as Shug in Braodway's The Color Purple she is poised for stardom. If you're headed to the Essence Fest in New Orleans this year you're in for a musical treat.

No comments: