Thursday, September 04, 2008

Where's the 'A Different World' Season 2-6 DVDs?

I love collecting my favorite Black shows on DVD. I already own the first three seasons of Girlfriends, own the first season of Living Single, and I'm working on acquiring the various Good Times seasons as well.

I'm a huge fan of A Different World, and even though I hated the first season, I bought the DVD set just to satisfy me in anticipation of purchasing Seasons 2-6. I'd even bought the Season 2 DVD online, but when Urbanworks got bought out, it delayed the release date twice and Season Two's release was eventually canceled.

Now I'm hearing that Viacom, who subsequently bought Ventura after it bought Urbanworks, will not only not release the Season 2 DVD of A Different World, it won't release Seasons 3-6 of the show either. Their excuse is that the poor sales of the Season One DVD is evidence that the show doesn't have a fan base.

Excuse me?

Umm, A Different World was a Top 5 show for five of the six years it was on the air from 1987-1993. Many HBCU's (historically Black college and university) credit this show with increasing enrollments at HBCU's by 25% during the 90's.

So the claim that this show doesn't have a fanbase is about as credible as Sarah Palin's claim to be more qualified for the presidency than Sen. Barack Obama.

Besides, the major reason the Season One DVD didn't sell well is how can I put this, season one sucked.

You had a writing team that had never attended, much less set foot on an HBCU campus try to recreate one on TV. Season One didn't even come close to having the authentic feel of an HBCU and it didn't happen until my Houston homegirl Debbie Allen took over as producer.



Under Debbie Allen, the show not only made a light years leap in quality, it actually began to have the flavor of an HBCU campus. Debbie was not only drawing from her experiences as a Howard University alum, she had the writing staff take an annual trip to Atlanta's Spelman College and talk to students, faculty and administrators about the issues they deal with.

The claim that there aren't enough A Different World fans to justify releasing seasons 2-6 of the show on DVD is crap. It's interesting to note that Seinfeld and Roseanne, Top 10 shows that were on during the same decade as A Different World have been fully released on DVD, but a quality show that tackled some interesting topics back in the day such as teen pregnancy, date rape, homelessness, divesting from South Africa, Black history, interracial dating, HIV/AIDS and the Gulf War isn't?

It's interesting to note that Living Single, another quality African-American show with Top 10 ratings, a loyal fanbase and topical shows hasn't been released beyond Season One either. But I'll save that debate for another post. A Different World's 2-6 seasons not being released on DVD is a travesty that needs to be corrected ASAP.

I'd love to see some of my favorite episodes again such as the battle for Dwayne's affections between Kinu and Whitley, Patti LaBelle's always humorous turns playing Adele Wayne, the always elegant Diahann Carroll playing Whitley's mom Marian, Sinbad's crazy self, Freddie and Ron's love-hate relationship, Jenifer Lewis playing Dean Dorothy Davenport and Debbie's recurring psychiatrist character Dr. Langhorne...well, you get the picture.



But what I'm really hoping to get is an opportunity to purchase and add to my television DVD collection season's 2-6 of A Different World.

9 comments:

Tracey said...

Thanks for bringing my attention to this. I had no idea that there was a trend of shows with black casts not getting all of their seasons released on DVD.

I grew up with A Different World and watched it every week, and I had a total crush on Dwayne Wayne. I remember that show, and specifically the episode that dealt with the Rodney King beating, helped me (a naive white girl in all-white town) taught me lessons about race and racism that I wasn't getting anywhere else.

I hope the issue with this DVD releases gets resolved.

Monica Roberts said...

So do I, Tracey.

What might held is for non-Black fans of these shows to write the Viacoms of this world and point out that Black folks weren't the only people who watched 'A Different World'.

Monica Roberts said...

Oh yeah Tracy. That was the two part episode about Whitley and Dwayne's honeymoon in LA that was interrupted by the LA riots.

Gilbert Gottfried playing an LA cop was hilarious, along with Roseanne and Tom Arnold's cameos.

Jenny said...

Another white who loves this show. I watched it every week. I was so excited that season 1 was released. I was waiting until more seasons came out to try to buy them together. I can't believe they won't release them. Does anyone know how we go about telling them the show does have fans?

Monica Roberts said...

You may want to start by talking to Viacom.

Unknown said...

I've been waiting on it too forever... I had so been looking forward to getting the whole series.

Dwayne said...

This is my favorite show of all time hands down. The first season wasn't as good as the others but I'm sure it still sold well. It's a shame that positive black shows don't get the respect they so much deserve.

Unknown said...

Let the company that currently owns the rights to distribute this series for home release on DVD know that we want the remaining seasons released now and in the full original broadcast format! We have been waiting for season 2 since 2006! This is ridiculous! Especially when series that are still airing have their previous seasons out there for their fans already!

With no quality black programs on television (with the exception of "The Game" and Tyler's stuff, if you're into that) we are forced to fondly relive our past with shows like the Cosby Show, A Different World, Soul Food: The Series & Girlfriends!

Write or Email them today:
First Look Studios, Inc.
2000 Avenue of the Stars
Suite 410
Century City, CA 90067
Phone: (424) 202-5000
Email: info@firstlookstudios.com

clarissa1287 said...

Thank you for bringing this sad truth to our attention! Now I know why I cannot own and watch one of my favorite and one ofthat the world's most influential television shows. I am appalled that decisions like these are being made. Season 1 was not the main reason why we all fell in love with this show. It is the controversial topics brought to life and the growth of the characters that we fell in love with, most of which are not found in season 1. The world needs this show back.