Saturday, September 13, 2008

Nikki Williams Update

Received an e-mail from GLAAD about their efforts to get WLKY and WDRB to clean up their disrespectful and defamatory reporting of Nikki's story.

I'm being advised that they are getting the serious runaround from our local news stations here, so help us out by sending letters, e-mails, faxes and phone calls to these recalcitrant outlets.

My GLAAD contacts for this issue have both expressed their determination and commitment to see that the story gets corrected.

The Courier-Journal, our local paper has already dropped their link to the disrespectful WLKY one. My GLAAD contacts have assured me, and I've passed that on to Nikki's family members that they're not giving up and will do their part to get WDRB and WLKY to see the error of their ways.
'
The local GLBT community is also considering other options if the station continues its obstinate refusal to correct the story.

It's time for them (and all media outlets that consider themselves above tabloid journalism level) to stop the obfuscation, doublespeak and transphobic dissing of people and consistently follow the AP Stylebook rules when it comes to reporting on transgender persons and issues.

2 comments:

Renee said...

You keep fighting the good fight for justice. If I were not a Cannuck, I would engage in letter writing with you but I fear that that the thought of a foreigner will have not weight on their decision making process. It is disgusting that these news stations cannot see that this kind of reporting is violating the deceased and is an extreme sign of disrespect. Once again I am so sorry for your loss.

genevieve said...

If there's anything I can do, let me know.