Thursday, April 12, 2007

IFGE Transgender 2007 Conference

This time last year I was making a little history at the IFGE Transgender 2006 event in Philadelphia. I became the third African-American transperson to receive a Trinity, the second highest award for service our community gives. As you can see from Denise LeClair's photo I also got to make a little speech while I was there.

Unfortunately my work schedule wouldn't allow me to attend this year's event. I was a little bummed about that because I was looking forward to seeing some peeps like Monica Helms, Angela Brightfeather, Kalina Isato, Beth Boye and Mechelle among others.

I also wanted to avenge the butt kicking that Angela gave me on the pool table last year and was looking forward to drifting back into my Texas accent while talking to Phyllis Frye. However, Dawn and AC are at Transgender 2007 to teach seminars and will be giving me the 411 about the happenings and all the excitement in Philly this weekend.

The first full seminar day was actually today, so it's still not too late to attend the conference which is running from April 11-14.

I like going to the big conferences despite the fact that most of the time I'm one of the few African-American transpeeps in attendance. It's one of the few times during the year short of a lobby day that you get to see everybody in the transgender community in one place. We renew old acquaintances and make new ones. Much of the community's politicking, education and other business transpires at the big conferences such as IFGE. I also enjoy getting away from the host hotel and seeing some of the sights the host city have to offer. I had a blast doing that last year courtesy of my homegirls Dionne and Jordana and sampling a real Philly cheesesteak.

This is the 21st annual IFGE conference and it's the one where the education and community political business takes place. The younger Southern Comfort Conference that takes place in the ATL every September is a blend of business and legendary partying. We're working on growing the Transsistahs-Transbrothas Conference into the same type of national event for the African-American segment of the transgender community.

I'm also curious to find out who the Trinity Award winners were this year.

No comments: