Friday, January 29, 2016

First Trans Murder of 2016- RIP Monica Loera

I'm sad to report thanks to a tip by Gina Morvay and the Austin Chronicle that the first trans murder of 2016 has happened in the Lone Star State in Austin.

The reason we in Texas and Austin didn't know about it until a week after it happened is because once again, the trans victim was misgendered by the police and subsequently the local media.

As usual, I'm going to do the Austin media's job for them and give our sister the respect in death and proper pronouns she deserves and another example of how to properly report on trans murder cases..

According to the Austin Police Department, 43 year old Monica Loera was engaged in a conversation with a man in front of her home along the 300 block of East Powell Lane in north Austin at 3 AM on January 22 when she was shot.

Loera was transported to the nearby University Medical Center Brackenridge hospital where she was pronounced dead from her injuries and the Travis County Medical Examiner ruled Loera's death a homicide.

635896711719655393-Rowell-2c-JonCasey-William-29-years-of-age-16-0220222.jpg
Thanks to witness descriptions and messages from the alleged perpetrator left on Loera's phone, 29 year old JonCasey William Rowell was later arrested by APD and charged with the first degree murder of Monica Loera.  Rowell is currently in the Travis County Jail under a $250,000 bond.

I will be watching this case until our sister receives justice.  If I receive any further information about the Loera case, I will pass those details along as I get them.

Rest in power and peace, Monica.   Your trans family and all who loved you will not rest until justice is served/.

TransGriot Update:  Got a call from one of my reporter contacts in Austin.  KEYE-TV will start working on doing their due diligence, talking to people who knew Monica as a prelude to correcting their station's story starting Saturday morning.   

APD's information officers need to do a better job as well of informing the media when it comes to dealing with trans murder victims and not misgendering them. 

3 comments:

Unknown said...

APD is so LAX. I was run over on Jan. 4 of this year and lost hearing in my right ear. Did two police line ups already and gave them the names of the culprits and as of this date STILL NO ARRESTS!!!! Did I mention I'm a man of color? RACE MATTERS!!!!

Unknown said...

RlP Monica. I hope you get justice you so very much deserve. APD only reports stories that make them look good. They're in conjunction with all media outlets in ATX. The only stories of departmental issues and failures I find are on MSN local.

Unknown said...

APD is so LAX. I was run over on Jan. 4 of this year and lost hearing in my right ear. Did two police line ups already and gave them the names of the culprits and as of this date STILL NO ARRESTS!!!! Did I mention I'm a man of color? RACE MATTERS!!!!