Saturday, November 28, 2009

'Precious'

Earlier tonight I rolled over to my local multiplex to check out Precious.'

All I have to say about it is 'wow'.

It was worth every penny of the $8.50 I shelled out on it since I missed the matinee.

The movie is based on the novel Push by Sapphire, and it stars Gabourey 'Gabby' Sidibe as Precious, Mo'Nique, Paula Patton, Mariah Carey, and Lenny Kravitz.

It has been piling up the awards. It earned three awards at the Sundance Film Festival and a 15 minute standing ovation at the Cannes Film Festival.

Mo'Nique deserves an Oscar nomination for her role as the abusive mother in this film. It was also interesting seeing Mariah Carey as the social worker Ms. Weiss.

It took me a few moments to recognize her since she had no makeup on and was in frumpy clothes to play this character, and yes, she actually did a bang up job in her role.



I'm not going to spoil it for those of you who haven't seen it yet, but I'd advise you to not wait until Precious hits DVD.

It will definitely be worth the trip.

No comments: