Saturday, April 12, 2008

Thunder Over Louisville


Later on tonight I get to pull up a chair and watch Thunder Over Louisville.

Thunder is the kickoff event for the Kentucky Derby Festival here in Da Ville. For the next two and a half weeks we'll have a blizzard of derby parties fancy and not-so-fancy, pageants, 10-K runs, special events and parades all leading up to the 134th running of the Kentucky Derby on May 2. Even the local GLBT community gets into the spirit by aving several events including a party of Derby day.

Thunder itself is a massive choreographed fireworks show that's so huge from a distance, the fireworks going off sound like distant thunder, hence the name. The Clark Memorial Bridge has been shut down to set up for it.

Since I moved here I haven't yet braved the weather or the crowds to see it live. The cloudy and cold weather today is guaranteeing that I ave no desire to break that tradition this year either. I made sure that any errands I had to run involving travel through the downtown area were done this morning.

I live about two miles from the general aviation airport ere called Bowman Field. I'm hearing the noise off and on of all the military jets revving engines and ta0king off for the airshow that's going on as well along the riverfront. Speaking of the airshow, that's a contentious part of Thunder every year with the local peace activists.

On that note, let me go grab some wings and get ready to check out the show.

No comments: