Wednesday, January 01, 2020

Happy 14th Blogiversary TransGriot!

One thing I can promise you dear reader is that you won't be disappointed. There will be times I'll make you laugh. Other times I'll touch your heart. Then there will be the occasional time or two when I piss you off. But my goal is to make you think and expose you to some of the drama that African-American transpeeps (and transpeople in general) deal with.-TransGriot, January 1, 2006 

The arrival of New Year's Day 2020 also means that TransGriot is celebrating another birthday!

It was on January 1, 2006 at 12 midnight EST that my first post went up on my blog.   It took me a year to find my voice and figure out what I wanted to do with it, but once I did, it has led to four a GLAAD Outstanding Blog Award nominations  in 2014, 2017 and 2019.  I captured it on my third nomination in 2018.

It also led to last year the TERF enemies of the trans community cyberattacking it in a failed attempt to shut it down. 

Image may contain: 7 people, including Monica Roberts and Toni Newman, people smiling, text
It has also opened up some opportunities for me to express myself not on on these electronic pages, but at college campuses, conferences,  on radio and television, and other venues across the United States. 

There are over 11, 000 posts on this blog discussing everything from trans issues to sports.  It is not only an electronic repository of our Black trans history, it  has also allowed me to elevate my voice in the political discourse of the moment inside and outside of the TBLGQ community.

And with 2020 being a presidential election year, I'll have a lot to talk about until New Year's Eve rolls back around in 365 days.   
Image result for tokyo 2020 olympics

Yep, this is also a leap year and an Olympic year    Will be nice to see if we have a trans athlete FINALLY qualify for an Olympics.

Image result for Lea T olympics
Note to all you haters claiming that trans feminine athletes are 'dominating women's sports'   So far this is the only trans woman who has made it to an Olympic opening ceremony, and she was holding the placard for the Brazilian Olympic team.

While I have been documenting the murders of my trans family over the last few years, it is not the only mission of this blog.  Here's my mission statement to tell you what it is.

Image may contain: Monica Roberts, screen
The TransGriot blog's mission is to become the griot of our community. I will introduce you to and talk about your African descended trans brothers and trans sisters across the Diaspora, reclaim and document our chocolate flavored trans history, speak truth to power, comment on the things that impact our trans community from an Afrocentric perspective.  I will also enlighten you about the general things that go on around me and in the communities that I am a member of.
--Mission Statement compiled January 2, 2011

 That's my blog's mission.   Been handling that business for now fourteen years, and just an FYI, the 15th anniversary of this blog will take place 366 days from now on January 1, 2021.

Happy blogiversary TransGriot 

No comments: