Thursday, May 17, 2012

Last Dance: Donna Summer Passes Away

You peeps who have been longtime readers of my blog know that I long ago revealed my unabashed love for all things disco on the electronic pages of this blog.  

One of my favorite singers during that period was the Queen of Disco, LaDonna Adrian Gaines, better know to the world by her stage name of Donna Summer.  Of course, Donna could sing any style of music with her mezzo soprano vocal range as she repeatedly proved throughout the late 70's and 80's, but she made her name and rep during the 70's 

Summer was an NAACP Image Award winner, a five-time Grammy Award winner and the first artist to have three consecutive double albums reach number one on the US Billboard chart.   She also charted four number-one singles in the United States within a thirteen-month period from 1977-1979.

She was also nominated for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2010 and 2011 but to mine and many of her fans disappointment wasn't chosen for enshrinement.   Hope they will rectify that oversight soon.

I was shocked and saddened to hear that Donna Summer passed away this morning at age 63 after a battle with lung cancer.

My music collection runneth over with many of her CD's, and there was more than a few times on my way to work I played or sang off key She Works Hard For The Money and countless others of my favorite songs of hers.

But unfortunately we won't get to hear her sing them live any more because another one of our iconic singers and part of my teen years has unfortunately made her Last Dance

Rest in peace, Donna Summer.   Your family, I and your devoted fans around the world are definitely going to miss you.  



No comments: