Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Beautiful Daughters

If you've ever seen The Vagina Monologues, some of you may be aware that there was an all transgender version of it done in Los Angeles back in 2004. That production was videotaped in a documentary called Beautiful Daughters that's been repeatedly broadcast on LOGO (which my cable system doesn't carry yet no thanks to the local fundamentalist idiots).

During that February 2 performance, Eve Ensler, the creator of The Vagina Monologues wrote and debuted a transgender-themed monologue entitled 'They Beat The Girl Out Of My Boy..Or So They Tried. It's a monologue that my homegirl Lexi has performed in a local production of the play as well.



One of the people in the all-transgender production was transsister Valerie Spencer, who I've been pleased to get to know thanks to the Transsistahs-Transbrothas Yahoo Group I founded in 2004. In addition to doing some marvelous work out in the LA area as a social worker and activist, Valerie has been exploring the artistic side of her personality as well. (Hmm, sounds familiar)

I was also delighted to learn that Valerie was actress Kerry Washington's advisor for the soon to be released film Life Is Hot In Cracktown, based on Buddy Giovinazzo's 1993 novel of the same name. In the film Kerry will play a transgender character.

The V-Day show raised a lot of money and was an emotional experience for all involved. It's cool that transgender women's voices are now incorporated into this fabulous play as well.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I worked as director for our college's production of the Vagina Monologues this year. It was by far the most fulfilling experience I've done that didn't involve my family.

I loved the energy of the cast, and the way the audience responded to it. It's a play of accepting that being a woman has value, and I think that was why everyone was so supportive of me in my current transition work.

I've already signed up to do it again next year, and I'll probably keep doing it until 2013 (when I'm done with both undergrad and grad work). I'm hoping to go on stage at some point for it, as well. :)

Definitely recommend anyone to get involved with it. It's such a great experience.

Monica Roberts said...

Cass,
I agree. One of my t-girlfriends did a local production of Monologues.

I understand that it's going to be done on the TJMS Fantastic Voyage Cruise this year.