Thursday, September 20, 2007

Transparent


I just finished reading Transparent by Cris Beam. It's an interesting nonfiction book about several Los Angeles Latina and African-American transkids covering a period from 1998 to 2005.

One of the people featured in the book, Foxxjazell was familiar to me. I just wrote a blog post last month on her increasing popularity in California's rap scene as a transgender rapper. It was interesting to read her background story.

Some of it was sad, some triumphant. Some of their stories hit home and triggered some emotional memories concerning some things I was dealing with in my own childhood.

Cris Beam also weaves transgender history, science, and knowledge throughout the book. If you want to get some insight on some of the issues we deal with and how they affect these transkids, you may want to pick this book up and add it to your collection.

3 comments:

Mes Deux Cents said...

Hi Monica,

Thanks for hilighting this book. I'm building a book list for my fall/ winter reading. So I've added this book. I'll share my thoughts about it with you once I've read it.

Thannks

Monica Roberts said...

You may want to add 'Hiding My Candy', the autobiography of The Lady Chablis as well if you're looking for another African-American themed transgender book

Mes Deux Cents said...

I'm familier with Lady Chablis, I of course saw her in The Garden Of Good And Evil. The title Hiding My Candy is something I remember I may have read it, I'll check the library and take a look at a copy to see if it jogs my memory.

Thanks