Saturday, February 08, 2020

I Love Cities Skylines!

Image result for Cities Skylines
One of the things that peeps are surprised to find out about moi is that I am not only a trans grognard or warganer, I also love computer and video games.

They are one of the things I do as part of my self care regimen, and it also satisfies my inner blerd.

What's a blerd you ask?   Blerd is a term I picked up (and I like) from my homegirl Kandice Webber to describe a Black nerd.

One of the computer games I fell in love with back in the 90's was Sim City.   I loved it so much I bought Sim City 2000, Sim City 3000 and Sim City 2013 because I absolutely love the city simulator games.    Why don't I own Sim City 4?   Because by the time I was able to buy it, Sim City 2013 was out.

Then I discovered Cities Skylines.

Related image
One of the things that irritated me about Sim City 2013 is that they took away the ability to build subways and freeways from your game cities.   It also limited you to one 2x2 km tract to build the city on with no ability to alter the terrain if you needed flat areas to build stuff on.

It also wasn't as realistic as Cities Skylines is where you can get granular about everything from traffic to city governance policies

Image result for cities skylines mass transit
The thing I love about Cities Skylines is I have far more options for mass transit in this game than just the light rail streetcars and buses in Sim City 2013.    You have those plus subways, monorails, commuter rail, ferries, and even blimps. 

Related image
I also have the ability to modify terrain, and choose up to nine 2x2 km tiles to build a sprawling city on to my hearts content.

One of the things I also love is that when I'm playing this game, I'm so focused on concentrating on what I need to do to build the city and clean up any problems that arise while doing so, I'll look at the wall clock next to my computer desk and realize that a few hours had elapsed since I started that game session.

Image result for cities skylines game texas
So on those weekends I take a moment to unplug from The Net, this is one of the me time things I love to do.

Now if I could download some real world buildings and Houston ones into my game, I'd be a happy camper.




No comments: