Monday, October 20, 2008

City Dwellers and People of Color Are 'Pro-American' Too


"We believe that the best of America is not all in Washington, D.C. We believe, we believe that the best of America is in these small towns that we get to visit, and in these wonderful little pockets of what I call the real America, being here with all of you hard-working, very patriotic, pro-America areas of this great nation.

This is where we find the kindness and the goodness and the courage of everyday Americans: those who are running our factories and teaching our kids and growing our food and are fighting our wars for us, those who are protecting us in uniform, those who are protecting the virtues of freedom.”


Sarah Palin, remarks to a Greensboro, NC Republican fundraiser, October 16, 2008


The more I hear Sarah Louise Heath Palin flap her gums, the more I loathe her intellectually vacuous Dubya in drag behind.



And like you, Sen Biden, I'm tired.

I'm sick and tired of being told by white Republicans that because I was born and raised on the south side of Houston, I'm intelligent, I vote Democratic, I enthusiastically support public schools, support real science, believe that civil rights should be expanded and provided to all GLBT people, think the wall of separation between church and state is a good idea, and oppose the misguidedly wrongheaded and selfish GOP soak the poor economic policies that I'm 'unpatriotic and un-American.'

Frack you and every beer-swilling illiterate racist and latte-drinking Republican operative who defines being an American and patriotism that way.

We African-Americans love this country so much we've fought in every war since its inception to defend it despite the bulk of us not acquiring our own freedom until 1865. Even with that, we still had to fight 'pro-American' peeps another 100 plus years tooth and nail just to have our humanity and civil rights recognized.

We had to battle 'small-town' Americans whose values told them it was okay to hang people who shared my ethnic heritage from trees, twist Biblical scripture to justify those regressive attitudes and use violence against anyone who dared to protest that injustice.

The bottom line is that dissent is patriotic. I want my country to be better than when I found it for the next generation. That used to be a guiding bipartisan political principle that has gone by the wayside thanks to GOP conservatives and their sellouts pimping racial hatred for their own personal and political gain.

November 4 can't get here fast enough for me so that we can bury the 'Southern Strategy' once and for all and begin to repair the damage done to our country.

6 comments:

steph said...

The bottom line is that dissent is patriotic.

thank you.

steph said...

sorry, i feel like i should clarify. i'm not american, but your words echo for me and my own (questioned) (cultural and national) identity.

OG, The Original Glamazon said...

Did you see John Stewart retort to that? Checkit!
http://www.deusexmalcontent.com/2008/10/quote-of-week-and-its-only-monday_20.html

Oh yeah thanks for the well wishes. I had Frenchys TWICE while I was home. *lol* I thougth about you!

-OG

whatsername said...

You know what I find especially interesting about that quote, is looking at the words she chose to use.

I read it over a few times and what keeps sticking out is that she says "This is the real America" and then says "real America" does all these things "for us".

Who is us, and what is our relation to this real America?

To me it reads like, "you are the real America and we are your overlords, thanks for doing all this shit so we don't have to"...

Kara said...

I informed my boss this morning that we were in 'the 3rd Virginia' since we both live in Northern VA.

Monica Roberts said...

Kara,
How's that comment playing in the 'People's Republic of Northern Virginia' as one conservative radio talk show host called it?