Thursday, October 29, 2015

California Trans Teen Becomes Cheerleader


One of the things that really makes me proud to see as a trans elder is seeing our trans youngling not only getting to live their lives as their true selves at earlier ages, but getting to live their dreams at the same time.

Meet Anry Fuentes, who is not only transitioning during her senior year at Denair High School in Turlock, CA,, but is also living her dream to be a cheerleader.

“I was really good friends with this girl named Selena and she was a cheerleader with Denair Youth Football, so I would just go and watch her cheer for the football players and go to her practices,” said Fuentes.
“I was like, ‘wait, I want to be a cheerleader too!’” she laughed.

That childhood dream to become a cheerleader fueled by her friendship with Selena became a reality for her.  She has not only received support from cheerleader coach Robin Hilton, but her fellow cheerleaders and classmates.

Fuentes noted in her interview with the Turlock Journal that although her transition has had some bumpy moments, she has excelled in school and earned the Stanislaus County Seal of Multilingual Proficiency for her Spanish and English fluency.

“I’m not sugarcoating it, it was tough. But my life is given to me once and I’m going to make the most of it,” said Fuentes. “Everybody goes through that stage where they think ‘I’m never going to get out of this.’
“No—you are going to get out of it. I am living proof. I didn’t give up,” continued Fuentes.

No comments: