Friday, July 18, 2014

Je-Shawna's Last NBJC Day

When I attended the 2011 OUT on the Hill, one of the many awesome people I got to meet besides half of my fave DC power couple in Aisha Moodie-Mills, was an impressive Spelman College senior by the name of Je-Shawna Wholley.  

I wasn't surprised to discover later she'd been hired by the National Black Justice Coalition as a Senior Fellow, then moved on up to become a Programs Associate, and subsequently into her current position as the Programs Manager for the Emerging Leaders Institute.

We also got to spend some quality time together doing GLAAD POC Media Institute training in New York during the summer of 2012 and on some other NBJC projects.

Well, after two and a half years as part of the NBJC family, she's moving on to graduate school in Minnesota to pursue her masters degree in gender and women's studies, and her last day with NBJC is today.  . 

Congratulations Je-Shawna!  While I'm sorry to see you leave NBJC and will miss your smiling face the next time I'm blessed to take part in an NBJC event (and I'm aiming for this year's OUT on the Hill September 24-27), it was a sincere pleasure getting to meet you back in 2011 and see you grow and own your power as a leader in that organization.  

I wish you nothing but megasuccess in your future educational and other endeavors and will be an interested observer in what happens next for you.

No comments: