Monday, June 02, 2014

Finally Going To PTHC!

I was supposed to attend and take part in a panel discussion at the 2013 PTHC event.  Circumstances beyond my control kept it from happening and I was bitterly disappointed about that. 

But this is a new year and I can make this official announcement now the details have been finalized.  I'm jetting back up to Philly for the first time since my last trip up there for the 13th annual Philadelphia Trans Health Conference .

Moni will be in the PTHC house for the entire event when it starts June 12-14.  I'm excited because it is the largest trans themed conference in the United States and arguably the world with over 3000 attendees.  

Nope it won't be as a keynote speaker (this time).   The keynote speaker duties for the 2014 PTHC will be ably handled by Janet Mock on Thursday and Harper Jean Tobin on Friday.   If you have copies of Janet's New York Times bestselling book Redefining Realness, bring 'em so she can autograph them.   I'll just be looking for another hug from her.  

It's not on the schedule yet, but I'll be participating in a Trans Pioneers of Color panel at 4 PM EDT on Friday.   

So for the first time ever I'll be in the PTHC 2014 house in reporter and first timer attendee mode.  I'll be there not only for that panel, but roaming around the Pennsylvania Convention Center checking out other panels over those days that interest me.

I'll also chronicle what happens at PTHC 2014 for my TransGriot electronic pages.

There are a lot of people I'm so looking forward to seeing in the community again at PTHC 2014 and connecting with I'm up there.  Some of those peeps include many of my brothers in the BTMI-Philly chapter I didn't get to see at BTAC in Dallas.  I'm also looking forward to meeting people I've only connected with through Facebook or online, but have known for years like Koko Jones.  There are others I've admired for a long time but will be meeting for the first time like our activist trans teen Jazz.   

Yes, even award winning activist me has people that she admires, is inspired and motivated by and goes into fangirl mode when she's around them. 


Directions and ParkingI'm also pondering the irony that I finally get to go to this conference mere months after Jaci Adams' passing in February.  She was a longtime PTHC planning committee board member and will be missed by everyone whose lives she touched. 

To our trans younglings and others who happen to see legendary me wandering in the Pennsylvania Convention Center halls, don't be shy, just stop me and say hello.  Contrary to what my haters tell you, I don't bite and I accept hugs.  If I have time, I'll be more than willing to sit down, chat with you and take photos during my time at PTHC.

That's what these conferences are ultimately for.  We get the opportunity to meet and greet each other, network and build working relationships with each other.   It's also time to share experiences, tactics and life stories to lift up each other and advance the entire trans human rights movement.

And you can bet I'm looking forward to destroying some cheesesteaks, Tastykakes, water ice and Slurpees while I'm up there. 

For those of you who are going to PTHC 2014, see you in Philly.

No comments: